Friday, August 26, 2011

Meet BLDPA President Maria

Hi, I'm Maria.  Thanks for visiting our new website.  I thought it would be cool if you had a chance to meet our Board of Directors. Thanks to Lindsay for being the first one to post!!

Where to start?  I guess you might be able to call me a Washingtonian - I've lived here since 1991, longer than I have lived anywhere else.  I've been in LeDroit Park since 2005.  Besides serving as President of BLDPA, I am also Vice President of the LeDroit Park Civic Association.  I love working in my community and meeting new and old neighbors alike.  For my full time job, I work on corporate environmental sustainability issues - my focus is raising awareness of environmental issues and promoting behavior change.


I have 3 dogs.  You can say that I'm a big animal lover.  I'm sure you've seen my dogs, Angel and Dora, in the dog park with my fiance, Mark.  Princess (the one with the hat below) is a bit old for the dog park (she is about 15 years old!)  But, you might see me at the corner of Elm and 3rd walking her  v e r y  s l o w l y . . . : )

My vision for our dog park is that it becomes a safe place for all kinds of dogs to come and play.  This will take a lot of effort from the humans using the park most of all.  The first step is to understand whether your dog is ready for the dog park.  Just because there *is* a dog park, does not mean that every dog should go there.  I encourage everyone to read about dog behavior - esp. in the dog park - and please follow the rules posted on the gate.  In addition, the Humane Society has a workshop that we hope to bring to our community in the next few months called "Dog Park Pawlitics".  There are also several books out there such as  Visiting the Dog Park,and  Off-Leash Dog Play.

Thanks for reading!  See you at the dog park!


No comments:

Post a Comment